Special Education Prep Program (SPED Prep)
Our non-degree, non-credit Special Education Prep Program (SPED Prep) is the first competency-based teaching career ladder licensure program in the state of Indiana. SPED Prep is an Indiana Department of Education-approved online curriculum for highly qualified educators, like teachers, instructional aides, and others, to learn outstanding behavioral, literacy, and numeracy intervention skills. Upon completion, students will be prepared for P-12 Exceptional Needs – Mild Interventions Teacher licensure for the state of Indiana.
Why should I choose SPED Prep?
Take advantage of our innovative teacher-training model. Enjoy the flexibility of completing the modules while maintaining your current position. The Fred S. Klipsch Educators College retains experts in the school as instructors to guide you through the program, so you’re prepared to successfully pass Indiana’s licensure requirements.
What does the curriculum look like?
You will complete online modules and clinical field work over the course of 42 weeks. As you progress through the SPED Prep Program, you’re also required to pass the Indiana Core P-12 Educator Assessment, Indiana Core Exceptional Needs – Mild Intervention Assessment, and Indiana Core Exceptional Needs – Reading Assessments. And we’re here helping and supporting you along the way!
What will I study?
Sample SPED Prep modules include the following:
- Foundations of special education
- Developmental theories
- Culturally responsive practice
- Literacy, such as the Orton-Gillingham Reading Intervention Program
- Applied behavior analysis
- Student-centered practice – literacy/numeracy
When do classes start?
|Semester ||Application Deadline||Courses Begin|
|Fall 2021 ||July 15, 2021 ||August 23, 2021|
|Spring 2022||December 1, 2021||TBA|
How much does the SPED Prep Program cost?
Visit the Business Office "tuition rates for 2020-21" page for program cost.
Are there any eligibility requirements?
Yes, to be eligible, you must have earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Other eligibility requirements may apply to your individual situation.
How do I apply?
To apply, complete these steps:
- Apply online at marian.edu/apply-now.
- Click "Apply Now" within the "Marian University and Saint Joe Indy Application" section.
- New applicants will need to click "Create Account" to get started.
- Select the following options within the program section of the create account form.
- I intent to enroll as a _____ student. (Non-Degree)
- I am interested in _____. (Graduate Non-Degree)
- My chosen area of study is ____. (SPED/Prep Program)
- Once your account has been created, you'll be able to complete an application for admission.
- Complete a national full criminal history background check through the Indiana State Police. No other background checks will be accepted.
- Submit official transcripts for all post-secondary
schools that you attended. To be official transcripts, they must be sent from the institution to Marian University at GRadmissions@marian.edu.
- Submit a resume or CV.
Learn more about our Special Education Prep Program!
Marian University’s SPED Prep licensure program provides an online pathway for teachers, instructional aides, and others to gain P-12 Exceptional Needs – Mild Interventions Teacher licensure. If you have a bachelor's degree and want to become a special education teacher in the State of Indiana, request more information or contact Cindy Farren, program director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.