Overview of Panopto
Panopto is both a video capture software and a video Content Management System that integrates directly within Canvas. It is used to record video presentations, manage your existing video files, and stream your video content to any device. The following information is focused on instructor use of Panopto and how it integrates with Canvas. For Frequently Asked Questions and Resources for Students, click here.
Downloading and Installing Panopto
To download on a Marian PC:
- Click on the Windows icon (in the bottom left corner)
- Type in "Software Center" to search for the program
- Open the Software Center.
- Click on the program "Panopto Recorder" to install.
To download on a non-Marian PC or Mac:
- Go to marian.hosted.panopto.com
- Click the Sign-In button on the top right of the screen and then log in with your Marian/Canvas credentials. If you are already logged into Canvas, you will likely already automatically be signed in and your name will appear in the top right instead of the Sign-In button.
- Once you are signed in, click the Create button.
- Click on the Panopto for Windows (or Panopto for Mac, if on a Mac computer)
- The next menu will have options to download on either Windows (32-bit or 64-bit) and Mac. Click on the one that matches your system to start the download. (If you are using Windows, you can identify the version you need by clicking the Windows button, searching for and opening the "System Information" program, and looking under the System Type option.)
- You will be asked to save the file, click Save File.
- Save it to your computer in a place you will be able to find it.
- Go to that location using the File Manager
- Open and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the program.
- If prompted for the Destination Folder, you can use this to decide where your Panopto recordings will be stored on the computer. Most importantly, make sure that the option for "Panopto Web Server:" shows marian.hosted.panopto.com
- Finish the installation.
Basic Recording Guide from Panopto
- Recording a Podcast with Panopto (coming soon)
- Recording a Panopto video on a portable device (coming soon)
Organizing Panopto Recordings
Panopto has multiple ways of organizing content. Due to their integration with Canvas, the default is using course folders. Also, instructors can put content in their My Folder (or sub-folders within their My Folder) and share the videos from there. Click here to see the Marian Panopto Organization Guide for some general guidelines and an outline of the benefits and drawbacks of both. Due to the highly subjective nature of any organizational system, it is recommended to set up a one-on-one consultation with Blake Ide in the CTL if you have any questions, special concerns, or needs.